Flash Required to view this area.

Our blog has moved!

Please visit us at http://blog.krisfulk.com! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laura Burlton and Warren Harold's toy camera workshop

Sunday, March 21, 2010 | |

Sunday, March 21st, 2PM. We congregated at the Havens Center at West Alabama St, where Laura and Warren are hosting their toy camera exhibition. (You really ought to see that if you're ever in the neighborhood. These wonderful black and white photographs strike a cord inside you; nostalgic and mysterious.)

We began by identifying different toy cameras, looked at color and black and white prints from the dark room, and learned about how to use our very own camera. I opted for the workshop-only session, so I had to bring my own Diana; you could have paid a bit more and opted to have a Holga and 5 films given to you during the workshop. Anyway, I was the only uncool one without 120 film - my 35mm back made me feel conspicuous - though honestly, I doubt anybody else cared. But for me it felt like coming to class with a black pen while everyone had blue. Really, though, who cares, right?

I do get caught up on the silliest things sometimes.

So moving on. After about two hours, the gaggle of us girls (and Warren) walked out of the Center and trekked down Westheimer. I never realized how awesome just walking down Westheimer actually is. Lots of textures, antique shops, funky stores. I hip shot a lot (hip shooting is putting the camera at hip level - or somewhere not on your eye, really - and shooting on the sly) because I'm too timid to have to ask people for their photos. Plus you can get some pretty cool shots this way.

laura burlton, warren harold, toy camera workshop

laura burlton, warren harold, toy camera workshop

laura burlton, warren harold, toy camera workshop

Here Warren is showing us the camera he built out of his kid's diaper boxes. The CAMERA HE BUILT OUT OF DIAPER BOXES. I mean, come on! The coolness factor of this cannot be put into mere words!

laura burlton, warren harold, toy camera workshop

laura burlton, warren harold, toy camera workshop


I can't wait to finish the roll of film I used. The other thing I like about 120 film is you only get 12-16 frames. I have 36 shots to get through before I could get my 35mm film developed. I want my images now NOW NOW! But that's why I have a digital camera, right?

Comments

About Me

My Photo
Houston, TX, United States
Fashion, editorial and fine art photographer based in Houston, TX. Sometime illustrator. Always a dreamer.